DISCLAIMER!!!!

a cooking blog from one foodie to another... I rarely if ever use real measurements... my recipes are more like guidelines... but along the way we usually land on something kinda delectable...



Thursday, August 12, 2010

Homemade Pizza

Jeremiah is such a little sweetie!  Whenever I make homemade pizza, he will say to me, "Mom, why do you have to make your homemade pizza so good?!?!"  I don't know if it is THAT good, but it is easy, cost-effective, and YUMMY!  Here's how I do it:

Pizza Crust:
(in a bread machine)
1 3/8 c warm water
3 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp yeast

My bread machine's dough cycle takes 1 1/2 hours; therefore, for me, the hardest part of this recipe is remembering to start a pizza dough at the appropriate time.

The above recipe makes two BIG pizza crusts.  So when the bread machine finishes its cycle, I split the dough in half, sprinkle some flour on my counter and start rolling one half out into a circular shape (it is NOT a perfect circle AT ALL).  I have tried many times to experiment with hand tossing.  Let's just say EPIC FAIL!  So I pretty much just roll it out with my handy dandy Pampered Chef Roller.  When I have two pizza crusts rolled out and on my pizza pans, I brush the crusts with olive oil.  I gleaned this tip off the Internet somewhere.  It promised the brushing of olive oil would help keep the toppings from making the crust soggy, and lo & behold, IT DOES!

For sauce, I just shoot from the hip.  Typically I use about 1/2 a 14.5 oz can of tomato sauce per pizza.  I just buy the cheapest, generic tomato sauce I can find.  I season it with salt, garlic, oregano, and basil.  Then I spread 1/2 can on each crust.  I then spread about 2 cups of shredded mozzarella on each pizza.  (Sometimes in a pinch when I've run out of cheese I add Parmesan or even cheddar... that was YUMMY.)

As far as toppings, usually we just do "extra cheesy" because it's cheap and easy and a good standby.  But here are some of other favorites:

Veggie:  tomato, red onion, green pepper, mushrooms (make sure to saute them first it is yummier), black olives.

Regular toppings:  sausage, pepperoni

Chicken Parmesan (this is Noah's ABSOLUTE favorite):  on top of the mozzarella cheese I add chicken (buy a bag of popcorn chicken from the freezer section) and then a sprinkler of mozzarella and some Parmesan.

Bacon Cheeseburger (this was YUMMY but ended up being a very TALL pizza):  use a mix of mozzarella and cheddar for the cheese, sprinkle browned ground beef and crumbles of cooked bacon, add another sparse layer of cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...