Southwest Spaghetti

Here is an original creation of mine born out of a day when I did NOT have time to run to the grocery store and determined to make something out of my pantry.  That's what I <3 about this recipe!  It's a pantry recipe with little to no fresh foods required so the ingredients can always be on hand!  My kiddos love it!  Made it for New Day Church and got rave reviews.  It's got tomatoes (lycopene) and black beans (high fiber) and you could use whole wheat pasta to make it even healthier!  Let me know if you try it out.  I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Ingredients:
Olive Oil (good swish around the pan)
Onion (roughly chopped; as much as you like)
2 - 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes
2 - 15 oz cans of black beans (one drained; one with juice)
1/2 bag of frozen corn (can use one can instead)
1 box of shell noodles (prepared according to directions on box)

Seasonings:
(I layer my seasonings; as indicated in instructions)
salt
pepper
garlic
cumin
tabasco

Garnishes (optional):
shredded cheddar
crushed tortilla chips

Give a good swish around the pan of olive oil.  Saute onion.  Add salt, pepper, and garlic.  When onions are translucent, add tomatoes and a second layer of seasonings:  salt, pepper, garlic, cumin.  Cook till bubbling.  Add black beans (make sure to drain the juice off one can and add the juice of the other can).  Third layer of seasoning:  salt, pepper, garlic, cumin, and tabasco (2-3 dashes; or MORE if you like some heat).  Cook till bubbling.  Add corn and final layer of seasoning.... at this level I let my tongue tell me what to add... does it need salt or a little heat (tabasco) or maybe more smokiness (cumin).  

Combine "sauce" with shell noodles.  Garnish as desired.  

[Tip:  I like to make a double batch and freeze half.  I put half in a 9 x 13 pan.  Cover it with Cheddar.  Sprinkle crushed tortilla chips on it.  Freeze it and then pull it out in a pinch and pop it in the oven for about 30 min at 350.  YUMS!]

Comments

Popular Posts