Tamale Making: Lesson 1

My hubby LOVES tamales.  So for his birthday (which is TODAY) I decided to make him tamales, from scratch, AUTHENTIC!  So I started where all great tamales makers must start, google and stumbled upon detailed instructions chronicling every step of making tamales.  There are even PICTURES!  I'm not gonna recreate the wheel.  So far in my experiment, it seems like this is a good recipe with easy-to-follow instructions; therefore, if you want the recipe follow my link.  I will be blogging about the experience here sharing mostly my lessons learned, tweaks made (or planned) and results obtained.

Here is the FIRST lesson I learned about tamale making:  do NOT (I repeat DO NOT) assume that corn husks and corn masa are "not that exotic."  A trip to Wal-Mart and calls to two Piggly Wigglys and a Pick N Save have thus far resulted in NO corn husks or corn masa.  Not to be detered, yet trying to avoid driving all the way into Milwaukee to El Rey, I am leaving at 8:30 a.m. to follow a lead.  The UBBER helpful service desk associate at the Slinger Piggly Wiggly informed me a brand new Mexican Grocer opened up in Harftford on Main Street.  I finally found a Hartford Common Council .pdf of minutes that confirmed this stating "Luna's Market has opened up at 225 W. Main Street."  I will keep you posted; however, REMEMBER this lesson:  do NOT assume everyone has the supplies for making tamales!  Especially when your husband works mere STEPS (okay fine! miles...) from El Rey and could have EASILY picked up the ingredients any day this past week after work.

Comments

Popular Posts